Tensions ran high on the Aaron Sorkin drama’s July 14 premiere, and we couldn’t get enough!
The Newsroom‘s second season premiere opened with Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) and the gang facing massive legal trouble in the wake of a story they ran, then retracted. The story: The U.S. used nerve gas in an operation called Operation Genoa and claimed the Pentagon tried to cover it up. And only through a series of flashbacks told to the legal team were we able to crack what really happened.
ACN’s lawyer, played to perfection by Marcia Gay Harden, isn’t budging and will stay in that office until she gets to the bottom of the situation. Seriously, don’t mess with this lady.
So, back in time we go! Fourteen months ago, Will was still facing serious backlash for calling the Tea Party the “American Taliban.” As a result, the president of Atlantic World Media, Reese (Chris Messina), was kicked out of a SOPA meeting in the Capitol building, and CEO Leona (Jane Fonda) was understandably irked by the news.
To smooth things over, Charlie (Sam Waterston) asked Will to step down from the 9/11 anniversary newscast — which was like a dagger to Will’s heart.
Don (Thomas Sadoski) and Maggie (Alison Pill) seemed to be doing well in their relationship, even though Maggie revealed she had feelings for Jim (John Gallagher, Jr.) at the end of last season. However, Jim was still hurt by Maggie’s choice. Maggie tried to make the situation less awkward between her and Jim, but of course, she only made it worse. (Poor Jim!) To get away from the Don/Maggie PDA, Jim offered to help out an injured reporter in New Hampshire covering the Romney campaign.
Neal (Dev Patel) wanted to start covering the then-growing Occupy Wall Street movement, but Mackenzie (Emily Mortimer) didn’t feel there was enough fervor to the story. (Oh, the irony!)
Meanwhile, Sloan (Olivia Munn) and Jerry, the producer covering for Jim, were obsessed with drones. The new producer brought in a guy for a drone panel, but this just steered the whole newsroom in the wrong direction. The guy Jerry brought in had top secret information that he said “makes careers and ends presidencies.” The secret: Operation Genoa!
To top it all off, even though Don and Maggie seemed to be doing fine, Don was seen moving out at the end of the episode! Turns out, he watched Maggie’s Sex and the City bus rant/declaration of love for Jim on YouTube. Awkward. Don tried to play it off by saying he wasn’t in love with Maggie, but clearly his ego is burned.
Maggie is, well, stunned.
Other Tidbits From The Episode
– Sloan and Don’s chemistry is still sky high. Their banter during Sloan’s show is priceless.
– When are Mackenzie and Will just going to admit they love each other?
– The women this season are exhibiting some serious girl power, and we like it.
– The sorority girl that Will owned in the season one opener is now an intern.
– What happened to Maggie’s hair in present day? Will said things “got real” while she was in Uganda, but this boyish red cut does not suit her. Will Jim comfort her? Let’s hope so.
HollywoodLifers, what did YOU think of the season premiere? Where do you think this Operation Genoa storyline is going? Let us know what you thought the episode?
1. Rob Kardashian claims he wants to start a porn company with Khloe’s hubby Lamar.
2. Kris reveals she was “the horniest” after child-birth, grossing out Kim.
3. Kim gets annoyed when Kris tries convincing her that living with her would be “the perfect scenario” until her house is finished. Oh, and they have black toilet paper!
4. When Kim calls Scott and Kourtney for help with her stroller, Scott comes to her aid, causing Kourtney to get irritated that he doesn’t help her as much.
5. When Scott shows up at Kim’s she’s in Spanx shorts and a low-cut shirt, making Scott uncomfortable.
6. Brandon Jenner and Bruce train for an intense Ping-Pong battle — Bruce doesn’t even make it to the final, and Brandon gets second to a Ping-Pong master.
7. Kim makes the decision she needs to move to Kris’ for the first few months, however the transition isn’t easy.
8. After going to a CPR class with Kim without telling Kourtney, Scott then helps her and the family make the big move. However, Kourtney calls him out in front of the entire family, reminding him yet again, that he’s done nothing at their house, but is willing to bend over backwards for Kim.
9. Kris points out what everyone was thinking — since baby Mason was born, Kourtney has been the center of attention. Now that Kim will be a mother soon, that is changing. However, Scott goes out of his way to make sure she knows he is willing to help any way she needs, and she admits she may have been acting a little crazy.
10. Kim admits that it is calm and easy living with her mom, who later massages her swollen feet after calling them ”balloons” and laughing at her “sausage toes.”
Do you think Kourtney was overreacting? Vote below!
Dexter’s sister is sitting on a pretty huge secret, and it is destroying her. Will Debra finally give in and reveal who the real Bay Harbor Butcher is?
One question reverberating throughout this final season of Dexter is whether Dexter (Michael C. Hall) — a psychopath — is actually capable of selflessly caring about Debra (Jennifer Carpenter). He says he loves her, but as Dr. Evelyn Vogel (Charlotte Rampling) points out, all of the reasons he loves her have to do with him. When she murdered LaGuerta, she did it completely selflessly — would Dexter ever do the same for her?
Debra Morgan Continues To Fall Apart
We’ll have to wait to find out, right now all we know is that Debra needs help. Like bad. She’s moved on from cocaine and killing dudes to getting slammered in her car and driving into parking meters. Joey Quinn gets her out of a DUI — and gets himself into trouble with Bautista and his girlfriend, Jamie — but she has much bigger issues than the legal ones.
Will The Brain Surgeon Catch Dexter Before Dexter Can Catch Him?
The Brain Scooper continues to be a mystery. Last week this guy forced another person to kill someone, and now he’s setting it up to make it look like the victim was the killer, throwing the cops off the scent.
He also continues to send Dr. Vogel pieces of brains, but he has now started to give Dexter presents too. These two serial killers are on a collision course — the only questions are when they come face-to-face, and who comes out on top.
Debra Confesses Her Sins
But the Brain Scooper is nothing compared to Hurricane Debra this week. Her guilt runneth over — and it turns out she’s not as good at keeping secrets in as Dexter. After a moving speech by Dexter convincing Deb that she’s actually a good person, Deb gets wasted in her car again and then heads to Miami Metro. In a blacked out haze, she confesses to killing LaGuerta (!) to Quinn.
And the question that’s been forced down our throats is finally answered. Dex hears about Debra coming clean and when it’s obvious that she’s not going to back down, he sticks her with one of his needles!
“That was interesting,” Dr. Vogel hilariously says.
So there it is — when it comes down to it, when it’s either Debra or Dexter’s freedom, Dex is always going to choose his freedom. “Don’t get caught” is the first rule of Harry’s code, and Dexter, the perfect psychopath, is going to stick to that no matter what.
I knew Sookie’s parents were racist, but were they also murderers? Probably, yeah.
Let’s start this week’s recap with a few rhetorical questions: Why does Sookie (Anna Paquin) keep digging into her past? Hasn’t she learned by now that the more questions she asks, the more people come out of the woodworks to kill her? Oh, who am I kidding? This is Sookie we’re talking about; she’s a big fairy dumb-dumb who gets off putting herself, and others, in harm’s way — which explains why the July 14 episode of True Bloodended with her being drowned in a damn lake.
Rewinding a bit… Warlow (Rob Kazinsky) told Sookie that when he killed her parents, it was only to stop them from killing her. It turns out he came to Mr. and Mrs. Stackhouse with his intentions to turn Sookie into a vampire, but they didn’t like what he was selling; and because they worshipped at the First Church of Crazy, they saw only one solution: drive their daughter to the nearest and lake and drown her. You know, to saveher “soul.”
A sane human — or fairy-human, whatever — would have left it at that. But not Sookie. She had Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) channel her parents’ spirits for validation, a plan that ended the way all of Sookie’s plans end: very badly. Long story short, La-La threw Sookie into the trunk of his car, drove her down to that same lake and played ‘Drown My Daughter.’ Round two.
A New War-Low
This week’s episode also gave us a peek into Warlow’s past this week, and my body simply was not ready. For starters, Bill (Stephen Moyer) can command Warlow because Lilith made him, and she’s now inside Bill — everybody always has someone inside them on this show, don’t they? — and Bill is helping Warlow to realize his destiny. What destiny, you ask?
Cue the weirdest, most ridiculous flashback True Blood has ever served up: We got to see the first time Cave-Lilith met Cave-Warlow, and the wacky cave-sex that followed. Basically, Lilith gave Warlow a good sniff, told him he was “destined to save vampire kind,” then hopped on his fairy stick for a wild ride. (Side note: Lilith has a surprisingly jiggly butt.)
We also saw that Warlow spared one member of his fairy tribe — baby Niall, naturally — before running off to Lilith’s cave and burning her in the sun.
(Dear, True Blood: No more cave-time flashbacks, please. I know it’s better to show than tell, but not at the risk of looking so damn silly.)
In a poorly-planned attempt to save Pam (Kristin Bauer Van Straten) from the LAVDF, Eric (Alexander Skarsgard) and Tara (Rutina Wesley) turned themselves over to the authorities, essentially agreeing to serve them as lab rats. On the upside to this potentially fatal move, we finally got our first look at the “camp” where all of the vampires are being taken, and it’s pretty freakin’ terrible. You know, aside from all the crazy vampire sex. That, my friends, has much scientific importance!
Through a series of tests, Eric proved himself to be the kick-all-asses-take-no-names vampire we’ve always know him to be — until his final task, which found him pitted against none other than Pamela Swynford De Beaufort. Who will make the first move? Will either of them? Time will tell!
In the meantime, I’m just enjoying the vampires’ ranking system. Steve Newlin (Michael McMillian) is such a four.
Jason & Sarah’s Holy Humping
I’d like to take a minute to thank True Blood for bringing back one of the show’s best staples: Jason Stackhouse naked! Seriously, the past two weeks have been full of naked Jason, and the fans have been very thankful.
This week’s naked adventures found Jason (Ryan Kwanten) bumping beautifuls with Sarah Newlin (Anna Camp), who straight-up told him, “God wants me to f**k you.” It wasn’t exactly a traditional come-on, but it’s really more about the destination than the journey, I guess.
Odds & Ends — Mostly Odds.
1. I’m not writing about the werewolves anymore. At all. I believe that if we ignore them, they’ll just go away.
2. Same goes for Sam and that girl with the big hair.
3. Which fairy did Andy save? Do any of them have names yet, or are they all still numbers?
4. When Jessica tried to hook up with Bill, I almost threw up in my mouth.
5. What’s worse: That Terry wants his friend to kill him, or that I hope he’s successful?
HollywoodLifers, what did you think of this week’s episode? Who will save Sookie this time? And what about Pam and Eric? Drop a comment with your reviews and predictions.
Teresa flips a table, Danielle’s hair extensions get yanked, the Gorgas feud at a christening, Melissa’s accused of being a stripper and more. ‘RHONJ’ has never had a shortage of epic fights. Browse through our gallery to see the 10 biggest fights ever.
‘The Real Housewives Of New Jersey’ — Biggest Fights Ever
I have to admit: I was a bit scared when Joe and Joe attacked each other at the family healing retreat, but I know I’ve felt this way many times throughout the five seasons of RHONJ. The table flip on the season one finale will likely go down as the most iconic moment in RHONJ history, but a lot of moments come pretty close in comparison. Take a look back at the biggest fights ever and tell us which altercation you feel is the biggest!
1. Teresa Giudice Flips A Table: The original RHONJ fight. While out to dinner, Teresa flips a table after Danielle Staub tells her to "pay attention puhlease" in regard to some questions Teresa was asking. Clearly, Teresa was not okay with Danielle’s attitude and slammed her hands down on the table, calling Danielle a "prostitution whore," before deciding that the best plan of action was to flip a table over. (We approve, Teresa. We approve.)
2. Dina Manzo Confronts Danielle Staub: Before Dina left the series in season two, she made one last move — a one-on-one sit-down with Danielle. At the time, she told E! News, “The meeting was my closure. That was me telling her, ‘I want you out of my life. I’m leaving the show and all the opportunities that go along with because that’s how badly I need you out of my life.’” Dina returned to the series once in season four, when she attended Teresa’s Fabellini launch party.
3. Danielle Staub’s Weave Gets Pulled: In season two, Teresa and Danielle went at it again during a fashion show at the North Jersey Country Club in 2010, after Teresa tried to play nice, but Danielle wasn't buying it. Jacqueline Laurita's 19-year-old daughter, Ashlee Holmes, got involved in the epic fight, and ended up pulling out Danielle's hair extensions. Cops were called, but no arrests were made.
4. Caroline Manzo Meets With Danielle Staub: In an effort to put all the drama behind them, Caroline tries to take one for the team and meets with Danielle. During the confrontation, Caroline lost her composure and called Danielle “garbage” and “a clown.”
5. The Gorga Family Feuds At A Christening: In the first episode of season three, we were introduced to Teresa's brother Joe Gorga and his wife Melissa. When the families get together for the christening of Melissa and Joe's son, Joey, with friends, family and even children watching, an all-out brawl erupts.
6. Melissa Gorga & Teresa Giudice Face Off: Teresa gets angry after Melissa says Joe Giudice might go to jail at a psychic party. Apparently, it’s not cool to say jail when you’re Italian. As Kathy Wakile suggests, it’s better to say “going away.” (We’ll keep that in mind.)
7. Jacqueline Laurita Confronts Teresa Giudice About Tabloid Stories: During season four, Jacqueline invited Teresa over for drinks, in the wake of her headline-making troubles. But Teresa didn’t respond well to the gesture and instead let Jacqueline have it. Suddenly, Teresa called Jacqueline a “psycho” and Jacqueline brought up Teresa’s Twitter exchanges with ex-Housewives villain Danielle. There were also some accusations about Teresa insulting sister-in-law Melissa. Then, Caroline arrived to join in the fun! Finally, Jacqueline announced that she was distancing herself from Teresa “for [her] health.”
8. Caroline Manzo Attacks Teresa Giudice In Napa Valley: During a vacation in Napa Valley, Caroline lets loose on Teresa and tells her she’s completely fake and needs some help.
9. Melissa Gorga Is Set Up By Teresa Giudice: Previously, Teresa made the allegation that her sister-in-law Melissa had once been a stripper, but the allegations came back into the spotlight at the Posche fashion show, when a guy claiming to be Melissa’s former strip-club boss confronted Melissa about her alleged past, and all hell broke loose. Teresa was suspected of setting the whole thing up, which only further infuriated her fellow Housewives.
10. Joe Giudice Vs. Joe Gorga: Teresa’s husband attacks her brother when Joe Gorga calls her “scum” at a family healing retreat. Ten years of built up feelings erupted on the July 14 episode of RHONJ.
Sadly, Teresa seems to be the common denominator in all of these fights. Perhaps there’s hope that she may find peace by the end of season five.
What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Take a look through our gallery and tell us which fight you think is the biggest!
Joe Giudice & Joe Gorga Fight — RECAP: RHONJ Feud Gets Physical
Jacqueline Laurita and Caroline Manzo certainly knew what they were doing when they decided not attend Teresa Giudice’s trip to a healing retreat.
Even though Jacqueline tweeted that Teresa is a moron, to which Teresa gladly brought up upon Kathy Wakile and Melissa Gorga’s arrivals at the retreat, she decided that her son’s battle with autism is more important than mending a relationship with Teresa at this time.
Teresa kept the Jacqueline bashing going when she and Joe both took inappropriate jabs at Nicholas’ battle with autism. Teresa claimed that if Jacqueline was so busy with her son then she wouldn’t be tweeting. Plus, Joe said autism wasn’t a big deal and that most go on to become scientists. (Let’s be real — Jacqueline is going to rip him a new one on the season five reunion. Am I right?)
Relationship Healers Attempt To Bring Joe Gorga & Teresa Giudice Back Together
When the relationship healers arrived at the retreat, things continued to go south.
Teresa and Melissa argued about who’s more poisonous to the family, while Rosie Pierri and Joe Giudice stepped outside for some fresh air.
Teresa tried brining Jacqueline back into the equation, but the relationship expert said they can’t help relationships involving people who aren’t there. Melissa and Kathy agreed, but Teresa said they “don’t know the real Jacqueline.” (What is that supposed to mean?)
At that point, everyone’s blood was boiling and when Joe Gorga called Teresa “scum,” all hell broke loose. Teresa’s husband was none too pleased with the word Joe Gorga used and demanded he apologize. Instead, they both ended up in a violent brawl with each other.
Of course, we’ll have to wait until next week to see the conclusion of this epic fight. (However, I’m not sure it’s the biggest in RHONJ history.)
What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Whose side are you on? Watch the video, vote below and then tell us why in the comments section!
Dr. Robert Rey, best known for his reality show ‘Dr. 90210′ is ditching the needles and knifes & has developed an affordable anti-aging skin care line available to the masses. That’s just one amazing new product we’ve seen at beauty trade show Cosmoprof. Check out the biggest trends in the industry right here!
Hi — Beauty Director Dory Larrabee here! I’m blogging live from Las Vegas at Cosmoprof North America, and in just one day I’ve seen almost 1,000 exhibitors showcase the newest in skincare, hair, and nail products and the best new beauty innovations. I’m sharing my favorites from day one below.
Dr. 90210′s Skin Care Line – Dr. Rey Anti-Aging Breakthrough
Best known for being one of the most famous celebrity plastic surgeons in the world, Dr. Rey is revolutionizing anti-aging skincare. Using non-poisonius SYN-AKE, a peptide found snake venom, in his new formula relaxes the muscles in the face and provides smoother skin and fewer wrinkles.
In my sit-down interview with Dr. Rey, I was startled to hear the famous plastic surgeon tell me not to get plastic surgery or even injectables, but instead use the natural ingredients found in his skin care line for amazing results with much less-risk.
The Trend — Affordable Luxury
SKIN&CO Roma is an Italian skincare company making it’s way into the United States Market. Loved by Italian actresses in the 1950′s and 1960′s, their anti-aging products feel, look, smell and sound incredibly luxurious — namely, the Truffle Serum.
You’ve heard drinking red wine is good for you, but now you can get the benefits without the calories. Delaney Wellness uses Cynthiana Grapes to bathe skin in antioxidants to improve texture and tone and diminish fine lines.
The Trend — Getting Your Money’s Worth
Swoon is a lipgloss applicator that will reach the very bottom and every corner of your (very expensive) lip gloss tube. Most consumers leave 20% of product in the tube when they are forced to throw it away because the applicator doesn’t reach the gloss anymore. This genius invention will save you money and have all your friends swooning over your cool new trick!
Keep reading HollywoodLife.com for more of my favorite products and trends from Cosmoprof 2013!
The world is still reeling from Cory’s shocking death on July 13, but a day later, his ‘Glee’ co-star paid tribute to him in the most heartwarming and touching way.
The Glee cast is beside themselves after the tragic death of their humble co-star, Cory Monteith. On July 14, the leader of the gleeks, Matthew Morrison showed immense strength and love, expressing his feelings — fittingly — through song, singing a heart-wrenching tribute to Cory during his concert in New York City.
Matthew Morrison Performs Tribute To Cory Monteith
Before the show started at 54 Below, Matthew reportedly came out to address the audience, Us Weekly reports. “We lost a great young man too soon,” Matthew said, according to an eyewitness.
“He said Cory was a beautiful person,” the concertgoer says. Matthew reportedly then said, “You came out to see a show, I came out to do one, so let’s honor Cory with this performance.”
Matthew dedicated the song “What I Did For Love,” a classic Broadway tune from A Chorus Line, and was so emotional he was barely able to get through the whole thing. “He was very emotional on stage,” says the eyewitness. “It was difficult for him to get up to perform, but he did not want to disappoint anyone.”
The song has special meaning for Matthew and Cory, and also Cory’s girlfriend and co-star, Lea Michele. Lea’s character Rachel Berry performed “What I Did For Love” during the premiere of Glee’s second season, and the lyrics closely mirror Lea’s relationship with Cory, especially now that he’s passed away:
Love is never gone As we travel on Love’s what we’ll remember Kiss today goodbye And point me toward tomorrow We did what we had to do Won’t forget, can’t regret What I did for love.
Cory Monteith Dies: Lea Michele & Matthew Morrison Grieve
It’s times like these that Lea and Matthew, and the other cast members of Glee can lean on each other. They’ll certainly need one another — Cory’s death has torn us up, we can only imagine how his closest friends feel.
Our thoughts and prayers are with them and Cory’s family during this extremely hard time.
Cory’s death on July 13 is truly a tragedy, made even worse because it breaks the unbelievably strong bond between him and his longtime girlfriend and co-star, Lea.
Lea Micheleis devastated and inconsolable after the death of her boyfriend, Cory Monteith, HollywoodLife.comreported exclusively. Lea and Cory were made for each other, and not in some sort of puppy love kind of way — they truly were soul mates. Lea has made sure her intense feelings for her fallen boyfriend are known, saying truly amazing, heartfelt things about him.
Lea Michele’s Loving Quotes About Cory Monteith
“No one knows me better than Cory,” Lea told Marie Clare in an interview in January. “No one knows what it’s been like to go through this more than he does. Feeling like you have that net underneath you allows you to jump higher and go farther. He makes me feel like I can do anything.”
“For the first time in my life, I feel really, really settled and happy,” the 26-year-old actress gushed. “I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.”
That January interview wasn’t the first time Lea has spoken publicly about Cory, who she had been officially dating since February 2012. ”He’s just the nicest, sweetest guy in the world. I’m very lucky,” Lea told the Canadian magazine Flare, also in January.
And even when they weren’t a couple, Lea’s love for Cory was evident. “I adore him, he’s mine. I am so lucky that I get to work with him,” she told CNN in 2011.
“Cory and I say we’re like a two-for-one deal. I wouldn’t be here without him,” she said in an interview with E! in January 2012.
Lea Michele Supports Cory Monteith Through Substance Abuse Problems
Lea’s actions have also spoken as loud, if not louder, than her words. She could have dropped him when he checked into rehab in April 2013, but instead she stayed by his side and proved to be his biggest supporter in recovery.
“I love and support Cory and will stand by him. I am grateful and proud he made this decision,” Lea told People. Lea was reportedly the one to convince Cory to get help. She was an amazing influence in his life and was always there for him in his struggles to stay clean.
It is just so gut-wrenching to know that this great relationship was cut short by Cory’s sudden and tragic death. We really are speechless, and our thoughts and prayers go out to Lea and also Cory’s friends and family in this difficult time.
The Duke of Cambridge was pulled away from Kate Middleton’sside yet again on July 14 as he fulfilled another commitment to participate in a charity polo match. The game took place at Cirencester Park in Gloucester, England and benefitted the homeless charity Centrepoint, Child Bereavement UK, and WellChild.
William was reportedly giddy at the match, unable to contain his excitement over his royal baby’s impending birth, People reports. “He’s glowing about this wonderful time in his life,” Danielle Alexandra, a trustee for Centrepoint, told People. “He’s excited and very happy at the chance to be a father. He’s one of the most loving people… He’s a perfect guy to be a dad.”
After the match, which Prince Harry also participated in, William showed off his dad skills by playing around with some of the children from the charities.
Kate Middleton Visits Her Parents After Due Date Passes
He didn’t display as much urgency about hurrying home as he had a day earlier, but perhaps that’s because his wife’s actions reassured him that he wouldn’t be missing the royal baby’s birth.
After Kate’s due date came and went on July 13, the Duchess reportedly took a trip to visit her parents in Bucklebury, England, which is about 50 miles away from London. Kate is still expected to give birth at St. Mary’s Hospital in London when the big day comes.
Kate’s movements are slightly alarming considering the timing — maybe she and William know something we don’t?
Either way, the Duke’s excitement is completely adorable and more proof that he’ll be a great father, whenever that day comes. What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Let us know!